About My Blog...

I can't promise that I will sing you a song (although if I do it might not be out of tune...yes, I am a Beatles fan!) but I can say that I'll share some of my thoughts with you. You may or may not find what I have to say all that interesting for this is just a space where I'm free to be me.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Long and Winding Road...

As I write this post, I am sitting at a regional meeting of New England Diocesan Directors of Religious Education (NECDDRE).  But this post is not about the meeting itself.  When I arrived at the retreat center, I randomly selected my room from the board in the main hall.  For once, we didn't have assigned rooms.  So being the first to arrive (there is an advantage to being early) I opted for a room on the 3rd floor.  

The Road to Emmaus
Why the 3rd floor do you ask?  Well, in theory one would think that since I'm one of the youngest members of this group that I opted to let the "veterans" have the rooms on the 1st and 2nd floor.  Which, I will admit, is only partially true.  The real reason is that the room was one of the few with a private bathroom (woo hoo).  When I lugged all my stuff up to my room, I laughed at the painting hanging above my bed.  It is the same one that hangs in my apartment.  

It reflects my favorite Gospel story "The Road to Emmaus" found in Luke 24.  This passage and image are near and dear to my heart for many reasons.  But my favorite line from the entire passage is Luke 24:32 "Were not our hearts burning within us while he spoke to us on the way and opened the scriptures to us?"  To me, this line speaks to how all Christians should relate to Jesus.  We should speak about him with a burning desire and passion to spread the Good News and share his love with us.  For some, myself included, my journey of faith was/is a long and winding one.  But that's a story for another post.  Where I am right now in my faith and love of Jesus is something that 10 years ago I could never fathom.  

Has my faith journey been all hearts, flowers and rainbows?  Of course not.  My family and I have are crosses to bear (although I'm not going to lie, anytime God wants to lift some of that weight of the cross would be A-OK with me!!!!!)...but that's part of our faith journey.  My faith lies in those little moments of grace where I can clearly see Jesus.  It's in the little joys we share with my step-dad as he recovers.  

The road of faith is long and winding and never-ending until we reach the ultimate destination - eternal life with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment